CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Dungeons

I hope the day never comes where I feel I have to go back to working at a dungeon. I think the current climate...the closing of number of successful dungeons and the feeling of oppression...it sucks. On the other hand I feel that things, at least in our small piece of the universe-they all have a reason for being. Call it destiny, fate, kismet, whatever. I believe in basic positive and negative energy.
In the grand scheme of things, everything must have a balance. Yin and Yang. Take nature for example-it is a very delicate balance. One teeny tiny thing gets thrown off and it has a chain reaction. Why do we have global warming? Because we have been abusing the planet and throwing things off balance for decades, causing a chain reaction that could ultimately end in our own destruction. This is not just a theory. Study some basic ecology, if you think global warming doesn't or can't exist. Everything, including us humans, has a role on this planet. Things that don't ultimately fit into the grand scheme of things, they don't survive natural selection. Those that do survive and have survived-they each have a role to fill. I could give more examples, but I don't want to lose my original train of thought.
I'm sure you're wondering at this point what all of this has to do with BDSM and dungeons. I'm getting there. :) So, lets apply these principles to other things.
**I may jump ahead now so I hope you're able to make the connections. I am not the best writer**
Let's say BDSM exists for a reason. Now, I believe people are predisposed to be kinky, and it is a combination of some nature and a lot of nurture. These predilections have existed for longer than D/s and S/m were founded, and thus far kink has failed to be weeded out and eradicated. In fact, it has only grown bigger and stronger. It has survived natural selection, so to speak.
Within the worldwide, universal kink community exists a million subsets. For each niche there exists a community and for each community a niche, and so on. Which brings us to the New York kink community. I am including Professional Domination in the New York kink community.
With regards to Professional Domination in NYC, I believe things were thrown off balance. Money, and basically the business aspect began to take priority over passion and genuine kink. People are free to believe that the New York kink community is being eaten away by intolerance, or politics, or whatever the current theory is, but I believe that fundamentally things have disintegrated because the balance was thrown off. And It probably all started with one teeny tiny little thing. Negativity slowly began to take the place of the positive things of this community.
So if we want the current state of things to change, people need to contribute more positive things to this community. All of these alliances and all of this backbiting only adds to the negativity that has taken over. Some of the love, the passion, and ultimately the "heart" of BDSM needs to be put back into Pro Domination and the community. And in the quest for the all mighty dollar, these things have been forgotten and left behind.

All of this is coming from someone who has only had an awareness of and interest in BDSM for 11-12 years. On top of that, I have only been involved in the lifestyle and community for the past 4.5 years, approximately 3.5 of which have been spent in Professional Domination.

Above all, I am idealist, so I think things will get better. But I also feel that only this is possible if some of the authenticity of BDSM is put back into Professional Femdom. My ideal dungeon would be something like this:

-Female owned and operated. Or owned and operated by genuinely kinky men who have a real understanding of and respect for Females and Female Domination.

-Only genuinely kinky Females, or those with an honest interest and basic understanding of BDSM.
-Applicants should be required to write an essay regarding their experience, their interest in kink, their interest in Professional Domination, a basic summary of who they are as a person, and their goals as a Professional Dominant, etc. (There should be more included but I can't think of it at the moment.)

-There should be a 50/50 split between house and Domme. Domme should keep %100 of all her tips and not even have to report them.

-Domme should get some sort of compensation for any new client she personally brings in or refers to the house.

-There should be a training program that is continually refined and improved upon.

-New equipment is constantly being researched and purchased.

-Extreme safety/health measure are taught and used at all times.

-Constant measures are taken to assure camaraderie among employees, and open communication between employees and employers.

-Interpersonal romantic relationships strongly discouraged.

-No hierarchy amongst those employed.

-All employees encouraged to be a part of and be up to date with the community.

That's all I have for now. BTW, this is not in any way a jab at my previous employers (I consider them friends) or the House. I am extremely grateful for the chance I was given, the experiences I had, and the training I received. Again, these are ideals. And some of the things I listed were things that were already in place at the Dungeon.

12 comments:

unspeakable axe said...

Well put.

"Money, and basically the business aspect began to take priority over passion and genuine kink."
I've had this feeling from the moment I moved to NYC, and I moved here for the BDSM scene.

The scene is worse off now than when I moved here, as in all things, it will get better, then worse then better. Things have a way of correcting then overcorrecting themselves.

By the way, if I ever do find someone for a long term relationship, I'm going to have a tshirt that reads

"Female owned and operated. "

houseslave2000 said...

Sounds like someone has been inside my head.....

Minneapolis media dude said...

The ladies aren't allowed to keep all their tips at most dungeons???

Yikes. That's just plain wrong, in any business.

I also support the 50/50 split. Personally, I'd like to see 60/40, with the dungeon getting the 40. I have no idea what the split is now at most places, but it sounds like these ladies are getting robbed.

Considering that most dungeons provide no base pay (all commission), that's especially nasty!!!!

You go girl!

Miss Varla said...

unspeakable axe- Hope you see this, as you don't seem to have a personal blog that I can exchange thoughts on. Thanks for stopping by and for the feedback.
As for the tshirt, pardon the Paris Hilton reference, but I think "that's hot" sums it up. :)

Miss Varla said...

houseslave- I'll never pass up an opportunity to get inside your head.

Miss Varla said...

writerguy- yes, that is the rumor...

I am all for a 60/40 split as you suggest, but I feel even a 50/50 split could be fair...were I aware of exactly where the other 50 were going...
I would feel better if it were all broken down. Would be nice to know what % is going into someone else's pocket. I don't feel that is unreasonable...I mean, most people like to know where their tax dollars are going, right?

Minneapolis media dude said...

Yeah, I see what you mean. Some of the money has to cover security, equipment, the booker, the Web site, advertising, and other forms of overhead.

That said, tips are for those who did the work, not for the boss. Yikes!

Why'd you call me WG? Never heard of him. Or, I could be his cousin... ;)

Her Majesty's Plaything said...

Hi Mistress Varla:

I very much enjoyed reading this. You have some excellent insights here! I especially agree with the following:

"Female owned and operated" - As a client this just works for me. I'm a submissive who enjoys submitting to dominant WOMEN! I dislike having the sneaking suspicion or even the slightest inkling that I am actually submitting to a male. Call it a bias if you like but it's definitely a personal preference.

"Only genuinely kinky Females" This should go without saying but sometimes it seems to fall through the cracks.

"Interpersonal romantic relationships strongly discouraged." Agreed! I relate to this one in particular having had a bit of personal experience with it. This is a tough one because a Mistress/client relationship can become very close and the line can get blurred *especially* in the mind of the client! Having a deep and personal connection with your Mistress can be incredibly sweet but the down side of not setting up clear boundaries can be absolutely devastating! Oh well. We live. We learn! ;-)

I am very happy to hear that you are back and kicking ass! I wish you lots of success and hope you take NYC by storm! ;-)

All The Best

hmp

houseslave2000 said...

Well, actually, Minneapolis media dude... Rapture was the only dungeon that i had ever heard of keeping or even keeping track of the tips. i've been a houseboy at numerous dungeons and i have never heard of any dungeon keeping tips from the Dommes...

Anonymous said...

It has always been something ironic to me the incredible competitiveness of Dominant Females which i hate to say has long allowed men in the scene to exploit them.
Several times i have been in a position to start ventures based on a mutually beneficial co operative model where the operational costs were all that was expected of the participants yet each time the mistrust and arguments have caused me to abandon the project.
In an environment where the books were completely open and the only thing that i personally was taking from the venture was to be able to hang with cool Dominant Females in the common area (not in their sessions)plus i did get to clean the place every day while i got a small amount of verbal jibes well somehow this utopian ideal of Dominant Females being able to transcend rivalry and build something feel apart.
Obviously this post isnt intended to tarnish or generalize all Dominas as i personally know and respect so many of them yet the experience has left me bitter enough to reconsider ever trying this again.
Sorry for being so negative but seeing Your ideal environment it just brought it all back !

Jackrabbit Slim said...

Although I do sympathize with your gripes concerning the dungeon scene, I also have to say that your take on "global warming" is totally false! "Global warming", or "climate change" may seem to green on the outside but it's actually "red" on the inside. GW is proven to be pure "junk science" so don't be fooled by the corporate controlled PC propaganda

Why are you so anxious to needlessly sacrifice your standard of living in order to pay carbon taxes to scam artists like Al Gore, the IMF, and the United Nations?

You really need to read my blog, from beginning to end, and rediscover what the word "liberty" actually means!

Break free from your conditioning!

Rachel said...

Miss Varla,
First and foremost, I have read your original post several times, and I am extremely impressed by what you have to say!!! I am very new to the lifestyle, and I guess that you could say that I am a Pro Domme in a very specialized/niche field of the FemDom world. I do not so much as work for a Dungeon, per se, but I do work for a very wonderful company (SheFights) in Central FL. I always knew that the group of individuals that I worked with was truly amazing, but until I read your post, I did not understand just how lucky I am!
• Although the SheFights is a male owned company, the gentleman in charge thoroughly understands the lifestyle, and is a huge part of the community, and has been for many years. He is a phenomenal human being, and I have never in my life met a man who has so much respect for women!
• Every female in our group has been hand selected because of their true passion for what we do, and we would have it no other way. There is not a single individual in our group that only does it for a paycheck. We are passionate about what we do, and it shows in every single session that we perform.
• We currently have a 50/50 split for sessions, and I am also aware of times when the company itself has gone above and beyond that split in order to help girls out when emergencies arise.
• We work in a very positive environment where health and safety of the girls is always a #1 priority, and the owner is always willing to invest in new equipment when the need for it arises, no questions asked.
• As for the camaraderie, I have never in my life experienced anything quite like SheFights! It is far more like a family than a job! I feel like I am part of one of the very best professional communities in the world! No matter what time, day or night, I have a thought, idea, or question, there is always someone that I can reach out to and get a response from almost immediately!

Thank you so much for opening my eyes. I always knew that I was lucky, but to me, it is a true shame that others do not get such an opportunity. As women, we are the force behind this lifestyle.

Sincerely,
Rachel
www.shefights.net/rachel.php